Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Autumnal Equinox


The full moon that is closest to the autumnal equinox is a time for thanksgiving and sharing. This moon is also known as the harvest moon. This time of year we see the glory of the changing of the leaves and it is a true blessing that the days get cooler and the air gets crisper.


Henry David Thoreau said it well---

Live in each season as it passes; breathe the air, drink the drink, taste the fruit, and resign yourself to the influences of the earth.


I was reminded again today to "enjoy the little things". Go out and gather some changing leaves and frame them, pick up some acorns and seedpods to put in a bowl, make a cairn/or oobos of stones, take some pictures of your hometown area, catch some rainwater and wash you hair in it, catch some fireflies, plant a tree, pick some wildflowers/grasses, take a walk, go for a bike ride, hold hands with your husband, plant some herbs, find a labyrinth and walk the journey, go to the beach and pick up shells/stones, make some paper beads, go watch the ducks, listen to music, paint a picture, write a letter(or make a fabric postcard) to someone you haven't talked to in a long time, go to an art gallery, hold a baby, make cookies, smile, love, laugh out loud, have fun...etc.etc.
Leave a comment and let me know the "little things you enjoy" doing.

6 comments:

threadsofmagique said...

Lovely post! It's not fall here yet (unfortunately) but I celebrated the Equinox at a potluck with friends, laughing and eating and sharing stories. Tonight is a labyrinth walk with another group of friends.

Yvonne said...

Sounds wonderful. Walking a labyrinth is one of those enchantments of life. Thanks for visiting.

Gail V said...

I like to take my book and a cup of coffee and all my dogs (and sometimes a cat or two joins us) out beside where my horse and goat have their dinner in the evening. I read some, feed treats to everyone, watch the chickens, collect feathers, go in with Lois the goat and let her butt my hand awhile, etc.

Yvonne said...

Gail, that sounds wonderful and I know you enjoy little things and see humor in everything too, which is a wonderful trait.

Bea said...

I stared out my kitchen window at the crew working up in the new studio.
I painted my toes Ruby Red.
I actually found and plucked the LONE RANGER HAIR under my chin.
I folded baby clothes and put them away in the drawer, after I sniffed them, of course.
I took pictures of the landscape it changes every day.
I bought a pretty square jar and filled it with little bits of chocolate and put it in my daughter's room.
I folded fabric.
A good day all around. :)Bea

Yvonne said...

Don't ya love days like that Bea! :)