Friday, June 25, 2010

Donna and more pretties

Remember my Fiber Art Society project?
Well, here is an  summary of what is happening...
We are doing a collaborative art quilt,
a variation of the exquisite corpse,
based on a Gustav Klimt print.
Since it was my idea,
they gave me the head. 
This shows my finished block,
with hair, hand stitching here and there,
painted face,
and quilted.
This is Donna!

Each one of us (11 women I think),
are doing a different part of the print,
not seeing what the others are doing.
We were to finish it,
including quilting,
within 1/4 inch of the edges.
Then Laura,
brave and talented Laura,
is going to put all the blocks together.
I will continue to update you on our project
as we go along.

Now, on to more pretties...

This is a necklace and earrings
that my dear sister Lanette
made and gave to me.
She is just getting into jewelry making.
I just love this piece.
The pendant is Roman era glass,
which I just love!
Then she used jade and shell beads
for the rest of the necklace and earrings.
Thank you Lanette,
I love it!
Keep up the great work!
Lanette is doing this for fun she said.
Her primary work is
being a musician...
bass guitar player and singer.
Congrats to her and her band,
as they are 2nd year members
of the very hard to get into,
Texas Commssion on the Arts.

Find many ways to...
Savor the Day!
Yvonne

9 comments:

Clare Wassermann said...

Hey thanks for your comment on my blog - I love what you said about your Mum - I'm going to carry on with these vintage quilts...I think one uses them more!

Quilt or Dye said...

Woooo I love Klimt. How fun to be working on a collaborative project with him as inspiration. I love the head you did. Please do show us the finished work!

Magpie's Mumblings said...

Donnas face is exquisite! She looks so serene. And your necklace is so pretty -aren't you lucky to be on the receiving end of Lanettes work.

Bea said...

OH MY GOSH, I love what you did with the head. It's beautiful. YOU ARE SO TALENTED. I can't wait to see this finished project. What fun! :)Bea

Dotti said...

Love your head. My quild once did this technique dividing a blown up knock off of a painting. We divided it into 6 panels and gave each panel to a team of 4 or 5 ladies. Everything was kept secret...when the quilt came together it was appraised at $15,000. It was the opportunity quilt that year...the first time we held our show at the National Automobile Museum the Harrah Collection...it was the 100th anniversary celebration of the great NY to Paris race where the famous Thomas Flyer took the cup. The Thomas Flyer is part of the collection and our quilt was called "Start of the Race".

Yvonne said...

Thanks to everyone for the compliments on my Donna head. This project is very interesting and I myself can't wait to see the finished product.

Yvonne said...

Thanks Dotti and what an interesting story. I would love to see a photo of that one. $15,000 WOW. We haven't decided what will be done with this art quilt yet....donation, auction, raffle or what.

Unknown said...

beautiful beautiful Ladies Head Block! I am truly amazed!

BT said...

Wow, that head is just stunning, I can't wait to see the rest when it's all put together. The jewellery is just beautiful, lucky you!