Thursday, July 15, 2010

Save the Ridley

Don't see any turtles in the photo?
Well, there are sea turtles out there...
but they are in danger,
especially the Kemps Ridley Sea Turtle.


Once the small percentage of hatchings get to the water
they still have many obstacles to overcome.
Not many make it to maturity.


I visited Kimmie at Art in Red Wagons 
and learned something that tore at my heart.
She mentioned that the turtles
that are caught in the booms
with the oil
are not rescued.
Please visit her here to find out the details.
She is very angered (as am I) about the BP oil spill
and what it is doing to not only the people in the region
but the helpless wildlife.
Her wildlife art is wonderful,
and her passion is heartfelt.

 I live about 2 hours north of
in South Padre Island, Texas.
If you go to their sight you can actually track
one adult female Ridley
 that they released into the wild.
Her name is Isla Gaia,
which means Island Mother Earth.

--FACTS ABOUT THE RIDLEY--

1947- Andres Herrera exposes first film
of Kemp's ridley "arribada"
estimated at 40,000 nesting turtles
in one day
1960-sea turtle science begins worldwide
1963- Kemp's ridley conservation efforts begin
at Rancho Nuevo, Mexico
1973- Kemps' Ridley now protected
under Endangered Species Act
1977-  Mexico and USA join in programs
to save the kemp's ridley
1985-Kemp's ridley near EXTINCTION-
only 289 females left in Gulf of Mexico
1995- 1,930 Kemp's nests protected this year
1999-Sea Turtle Inc. joins Texas recovery program
2000- 6,000 nests protected this year
2006- 12,000 nests protected and
750,000 hatchlings released in Gulf of Mexico
2010-  BP oil spill in Gulf,
unknown dangers to Ridley

I hope that the oil does not reach as far as south Texas.
They are continuing to release turtle hatchings
into the Gulf, along with all kinds of pelicans
that have been rescued from where the oil has come in.

This event is like a domino effect.
 Many people and wildlife will feel the affects for
 a very long time.


Change is needed,
so we can all......
Savor the Day
Yvonne

7 comments:

Barb said...

Thanks so much for this information. My husband and I get so excited when we see a turtle here in Amerika Samoa....

You have a very kind heart...

Heather said...

I hope that the oil doesnt reach that far! Ugh, it just breaks your heart....
Also, got your message that the print arrived! Awesome! I love that painting, and she prints up great. Hope you enjoy!~
h

Unknown said...

Yes - it's a heartbreak ....

Pam Aries said...

Hi Yvonne! Iam sorry Iam s l o w l y getting back t o blogging! We have sea turtles here in Charleston too. I totally agree with your post! ....ps ;hey you do remember Sugar Magnolia! Peace and Love...Pamelamamama

Mary Helen-Art Saves Lives said...

The sea turtles and I swam together when I was visiting Australia...what a ballet under the water ...so peaceful and pure grace. I have so much anger at BP for this damage to the beautiful oceans. Imagine and Live in Peace, Mary Helen Fernandez Stewart

Threads of Inspiration said...

Thank you for this post Yvonne, I am also so angry at not only BP but our government for allowing oil companies to be governed by such loose regulations. I have enjoyed lovely beaches in the south and east and it just breaks my heart to think of them being spoiled and the amazing wildlife left without a healthy habitat. I do agree with Mary Helen above we must imagine and live in peace.

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I am saddened by the sea creatures that have been affected by the oil spill. People like you and Kimmie hopefully are making others aware of the problem.

As you know, I feature a blog each day on my blog and I like to have one of the Tuesday Tea drinkers when there is a new one. Tomorrow (July 20) I am featuring your blog. Hope to see you at Tea Tuesday tomorrow.