Saturday, March 10, 2012

H D I -- Lampshade

 This last week I have been changing up
things in the house,
getting things in 'order'....
which btw is my word for 2012.

Long story short....
I got this drum shaped lampshade
for free a few years back,
recovered it,
decopaged it.
I no longer liked it on the lamp it was on,
so now it had no home.
Should I get rid of it, donate it, or what?
Well, I went with the or what.

I began looking around at what I already had,
and found a metal ring, a light kit,
 and some silverware pieces.
So, I had this great idea to put them all together.
I believed it would make a great lamp 
to hang above my breakfast table
in the kitchen
It would also give me more light.
Total cost ....zero.
So, I threw out the idea to my husband,
and since it's raining outside,
he got to work on my idea,
and it's already done!
He is just the greatest!

The metal ring is suspending the silverware.
I didn't even bother polishing the silverware.
 I like it the way it is.

 It is hanging over my old dutch extension table,
which I have yet to paint and mark off my 'to do' list.
The chairs were free too btw.
All I did was paint them white.

Here it is turned off.
I may recover it one day,
when I redo my kitchen.
Years ago when I first got this shade,
I tore the old fabric off,
leaving the wire frame,
put muslin on,
and then decopaged some old
skeleton leaves onto the fabric.
It actually makes a pretty glow in the room,
when the light is turned on.

So, there it is!
Another DIY,
except mine is a
HDI,
(husband did it).

Savor the Day!
Yvonne

10 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Wow, that chandelier is just forking great!

Charade said...

I want an HDI project instead of an "I'll put it on my list" from him!

Magpie's Mumblings said...

I love the phrase HDI - how perfect to explain our hubbies input into our art! Your new-old lamp looks great over your table.

Lynn Cohen said...

How perfect that silverware over the dining table! I think this was the best idea ever! And nice to have a husband who can be clever and helpful too!!!! Bravo to both of you!

I also love all your recyled stuff. My style exactly.

Barbara/myth maker said...

Haha, clever idea! Really neat.

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Well, aren't you the LUCKY one. A new light, a great look, and an awesome hubby. All are priceless!!

Halle said...

Awesome! Love your acronym as well! HA!

Anonymous said...

I have seen it in person and it is even cuter than the pictures!! Great job HDI - Karen

Mary Helen-Art Saves Lives said...

Forking great ...yes that is it!!! Love this new shade!! Peace, Mary Helen Fernandez Stewart

Unknown said...

I love it!