Thursday, May 2, 2013

Delightful surprise....

For me, it is always a delightful surprise
to walk out into the garden
and find this.
AND even more surprising was
when I was looking for a new asparagus recipe
I found this quote about asparagus.
“... asparagus, tinged with ultramarine and rosy pink which ran from their heads, finely stippled in mauve and azure, through a series of imperceptible changes to their white feet, still stained a little by the soil of their garden-bed: a rainbow-loveliness that was not of this world. I felt that these celestial hues indicated the presence of exquisite creatures who had been pleased to assume vegetable form, who, through the disguise which covered their firm and edible flesh, allowed me to discern in this radiance of earliest dawn, these hinted rainbows, these blue evening shades, that precious quality which I should recognise again when, all night long after a dinner at which I had partaken of them, they played (lyrical and coarse in their jesting as the fairies in Shakespeare’s Dream) at transforming my humble chamberpot into a bower of aromatic perfume.”
                                                                        ---Marcel Proust

I didn't realize one could say so much about asparagus!  :)

  
You can roast it, steam it, grill it, add it to pizza, put it in soups etc.
But today I will simply blanch it and add it to my salad.

Oh yes,
as for looking for a new recipe,
how do you like your asparagus?


Savor the Day!
Yvonne


3 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

I should have known that bloody long-winded description was by Marcel Proust! And only he could wax so eloquent on the topic (essentially) of "asparagus pee."

Mary Helen-Art Saves Lives said...

I will bet your asparagus will taste delicious!!! Soup...oh what a treat! Peace, Mary Helen Fernandez Stewart

MorningAJ said...

How do I like my asparagus? With more asparagus!

Seriously though. Blanched, buttered and a squeeze of lemon juice.