Sunday, January 22, 2012

Soap Making Class

It's a great time to make soap!
I've been making cold process for about 12 years,
and now and then someone wants me
to teach them how to make it.

Cold Process Soap is the traditional way that soap has been made for many years. 
My Granny used to make soap, but it was not
like the handcrafted soap of today.

 Soap is fun and easy to make.
More and more people are going back to using handmade bars of soap.
Real soap is when you mix lye and oils
that creates a chemical process.
LYE + OILS= SOAP
This is not melt and pour that you may have heard about.
Real handcrafted soap is mild and moisturizing to the skin
and uses all natural ingredients.


Here is Marilyn making her Goat's milk soap,
using milk from her very own goat's.

Woeking hard making their soap......
 Even Marilyn's husband Glenn got in on the fun!
Ann (in the front) is making a batch with orange essential oils. 
Smells sooo good!
 Nzalani is testing oil temperatures for her first batch.
She used many kinds of oils and dried herbs, plus
some great essential oils like Jasmine.

One student did have a quick trace time (seizing)
in one of her batches of soap.
Sometimes you have to move fast
when making soap.
Also at times certain oils will cause it to seize,
or even certain fragrances.
Temperatures affect soap,
and even humidity.

Go here for some troubleshooting questions about soap making problems.

Appreciate your mistakes for what they are,
and learn from them.

The class was fun.
I think everyone learned a lot.
 Nothing like hands on learning.

Savor the Day!
Yvonne

7 comments:

Magpie's Mumblings said...

mmmmm - I can almost imagine how good these must have smelled!

Mary Helen-Art Saves Lives said...

Wow this afternoon of fun looks so interesting. I wish I could have been there to learn from each one of you as you begin their scented cold press soaps. Have a great week Yvonne, Peace, Mary Helen Fernandez Stewaert

Gene Black said...

On e day soon I have to make some cold process soap. I have been a saponifier for several years. I love to see the magical transformation when the soap starts to trace. However, due to mis-use, it is getting more difficult to find lye.

Halle said...

I have 2 molds now. Was looking at recipes last night. Still need a couple of supplies and a warmer day so i can mix the lye/water in the garage. My range vent fan doesn't vent outdoors.

Healing Woman said...

We have a few people who sell cold processed soap at our market here in Roanoke. I know most people don't appreciate the labor that goes into making these time-tested soaps. I'll bet your students are having a ball learning.

Deborah said...

I can just imagine how wonderful it smells!

Unknown said...

I can almost smell how good a time you all had :)